Working & Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credit

is for people who are:

  • employed or self-employed (either on their own or in a partnership),
  • usually work 16 hours or more a week
  • are aged 16 or over and responsible for at least one child, or
  • aged 16 or over with no children but who are disabled, or
  • aged 25 or over and usually work at least 30 hours a week.

Working Tax Credit is paid to the person who is working 16 hours or more a week.  If you are a couple, and both of you are working 16 hours or more a week, you must make a joint tax credit application and decide which one of you will receive the tax credit.

If your application is successful and you are awarded working tax credit, and your hours fall below 16 hours per week, you will not be entitled to keep any tax credit awarded.  You must notify the relevant department (the telephone contact number will be shown on your award letter) to inform them of your change of hours.

In addition, as part of Working Tax Credit you may be entitled to and qualify for help towards the costs of childcare.

Child Tax Credit

is for people who are:

  • responsible for at least one child or qualifying young person.

If you qualify for Child Tax Credit this will be paid whether you work or not.  All payments will be made directly to the main carer responsible for caring for and looking after a child/children. If you are a lone parent you will receive the payment.

The amount of tax credits you receive will depend upon your annual income for the previous tax year.

To find out if you are entitle Working Tax or Child Tax Credit you should contact your local benefits advice office, citizens’ advice, carers centre or welfare office, who will also be able to assist you complete the application form.  To find out more information visit: